Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Homemade chocolate

I don't know about you, but I can't live without chocolate. That remains one of my indulgences even now that I'm trying to be as paleo as possible.

I started looking for paleo chocolate recipes when I couldn't find paleo-friendly chocolate chips for cookies I wanted to back and had to settle for regular chocolate chips. The cookies would've been perfect if they didn't make my tummy hurt (I assume it was the sugar's fault).

Anyway, I eventually stumbled over this raw vegan coconut oil chocolate recipe from Avery Cooks. I never knew making paleo chocolate could be so easy! Her recipe called for vanilla extract but we never have any on hand so I omitted that and tweaked a few things, too.


Paleo Coconut Oil Chocolate
(makes 1 big-ish bar)

6 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (not the Dutch-processed type)
3 Tbsp coconut sugar (or to taste)
1 Tbsp coconut nectar (optional)

  1. Lightly grease a loaf-sized pyrex dish then line it in cling wrap. This will make taking out the chocolate easier when it has hardened.
  2. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour into the dish and spread out.
  3. Refrigerate or freeze then cut into bite size pieces when set.
  4. Store in freezer.
Note: If you don't like the texture of coconut sugar granules mixed with your chocolate, use a liquid sweetener instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment