Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Paleo Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes

I have to confess that I am very much a pancake person, which must be evident when I post my meals. One of the things that was very hard to give up when I went paleo was pancake and waffles. See, I wake up to the heavenly smell of pancakes every Saturday morning. It had become a weekend thing for the family to spend lazy Saturday mornings eating pancakes or waffles, and I was truly, truly sad that I had to give that up. So when I got my hands on coconut flour, I scoured the Internet for the best paleo pancake recipe using coconut flour.

Among all the recipes I found, the one from Paleo Spirit seemed to have gotten the most amount of positive feedback. The first time I tried it, it came out a little too "eggy" for my taste. I made it again using a banana, and it tasted better. The last time I made it, I used 2 bananas. Here's the recipe I followed:

Paleo Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes

Ingredients

4 eggs at room temperature
1 cup coconut cream
2 medium overripe bananas, mashed (I used the kind we call "lakatan")
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp rock salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Instructions

  1. Sift together coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the rock salt to the sifted ingredients and whisk together, making sure it is well combined. Set aside.
  2. Crack the eggs in a medium-sized bowl and beat with a hand mixer until frothy. Mix in the coconut cream and mashed bananas.
  3. Combine the dry mixture with the wet and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the mixture again until the coconut flour is complete mixed into the batter.
  4. Grease pan with coconut oil and heat over medium to low heat. When the pan is hot enough, pour batter to create pancakes that are about 3 inches in diameter (to be safe, make sure it's not bigger than the spatula you will use to flip it).
  5. Cook each side about 1-2 minutes and serve.
Some notes:

  • The pancakes will turn out brownish, and will look almost like they were burnt.
  • They are very filling, and 3-4 pancakes is usually enough for me.
  • Recipe yields roughly 20 small pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment