Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Paleo Challenge Day 12

Today's meals

Breakfast: fried egg and spanish sardines
Lunch: garden salad and minestrone (I didn't eat the pasta and beans in the soup)
Dinner: grilled tilapia, grilled pork, veggies cooked in coconut milk
Snacks: apple, paleo banana muffin

I felt so deprived that I couldn't eat my niece's chocolate cake so I took matters into my own hands and baked paleo banana muffins made with coconut flour. It turned out quite well, if I may say so myself. The original recipe I found here called for maple syrup but I omitted that and added another banana instead. It was moist, cakey, and a little bit coconutty. My father, however, complained that it tastes "different" and lacked sweetness.

Anyway, here's the modified recipe I followed:

Coconut Flour Banana Muffins

3/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash of sea salt (about 1/8 tsp)
3 bananas, mashed
6 eggs
4 tablespoons coconut oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liner.

In a bowl, sift together coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Add the sea salt and whisk them all together. Set aside.

Put mashed bananas in a larger bowl. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add oil and mix well.

Add the coconut flour mixture to the egg mixture and blend well. Mixture should resemble a thick pudding. If it doesn't, consider adding a little more sifted coconut flour. Spoon into the muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Don't look like paleo muffins, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment