Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Paleo Challenge Day 25

Today's meals

Breakfast: Non-paleo waffles (my first cheat meal, if you must know)
Lunch: Grilled chicken, banana with coconut butter, black coffee
Dinner: Pork chops, eggplant cooked with coconut milk, banana bread french toast, caimito
Snacks: Singkamas, chocolate-covered polvoron (again, non-paleo)

I tried my hand at baking PaleOMG's Banana Bread French Toast this afternoon. It was good, but I guess since I used coconut butter instead of cashew/walnut butter mine didn't come out as "cakey" as it looks in the original recipe's picture. I tweaked some other things, too. This is how I made it:

Banana Bread French Toast

Banana bread:

3 Cavendish bananas, mashed
3/4 cup coconut butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp coconut nectar
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

  1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a bread pan with wax paper.
  2. In a bowl, mix mashed bananas and coconut butter very well and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Make sure they are combined well.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs then add the banana mixture and coconut nectar. Mix well then add the almond flour mixture and mix again until you get a batter.
  4. Pour the batter in the lined bread pan and bake for 25-30 mins. Let cool, then cut into 1/2" slices.

Fresh out of the oven
French toast:

2 eggs
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon

  1. Whisk together the ingredients in a shallow bowl and heat a tablespoon or so of coconut oil in a pan.
  2. Dip the banana bread slices in the egg mixture on both sides then cook in the pan.

Voila!
Notes:

  • I used the loaf pan that my mother uses to make fruit cake and I don't know the dimensions but the batter filled it perfectly.
  • The cake came out a bit mushy, so I had to take care that the slices wouldn't break while I was dipping them in the egg mixture.
  • There was leftover egg mixture after all the bread slices had been dipped, so I think the coconut milk quantity could be reduced next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment