Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Coconutty coffee

I started taking my coffee black with no sugar when I went paleo, but I discovered something that allowed me to have (somewhat) creamy coffee again: coconut cream!

Creamy looking coffee
Don't be fooled by the photo above, though. The cream doesn't integrate that well with the coffee so it rises to the top. But I like it because I taste the coconutty flavor whenever I take a sip.

I've tried putting a few tablespoons of Ayam coconut cream and a couple of teaspoons of coconut sugar in my coffee and I liked how it turned out. And just today, I tried putting powdered coconut cream instead of liquid coconut cream in my coffee. It tasted just as good. This was the brand I tried:

Kara coconut cream powder
When I was at the grocery, I checked the ingredients of all the available coconut creams and milks there (both liquid and powdered), and none of them were wholly paleo, so I chose the one that had the least number of ingredients.

Contains 80% coconut extract, which isn't bad
This is the coconut sugar I put in my coffee. I also use it for baking paleo goodies.

Benevita organic coconut sugar
A look at the back label:

Coconut sugar is also great for diabetics
Coconuts are my best friend. It's amazing how many food products can come from just one plant. Think about it: coconut sugar, coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut butter, coconut water, coconut meat, coconut flakes, and coconut nectar. It makes me thankful that I live in the Philippines where coconuts are in abundance.

I just wish that producers would make their products widely available locally. As it is, I've had to search far and wide to obtain these products. Like you wouldn't believe. Coconut butter and coconut nectar were more complicated to find, but I was able to source them eventually. The producers probably don't think that the market is big enough here so they prefer to export their products, and that's just too bad.

4 comments:

  1. Great!

    Went 'black'. Since 5 years go. Before I went on Paleo.

    Now I'm trying to give up coffee. But it's so haaard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why give up coffee?? I don't think I'll ever make that decision! Since it's strictly not paleo, coffee is one of my few concessions. :)

      Delete
  2. Because it makes my hungry! Medyo ma-acid yung tummy ko e. Kapag nag-act up na yung acids, I get REALLY hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad. :( What about subbing hot chocolate for coffee? Ako I like starting my mornings sipping on something hot.

      Delete